Warwick-Glasshouse Tour Report May 18-206 races.
brief version: that hurt.
being wacky ultrarunners it didnt take long for one of us (tanky) to realise that with warwick and gh on the same weekend it gave the perfect opportunity for something out of the ordinary.
i could blog forever but will just give some random highlites
* for those who dont know the warwick pentath-run is a 5 race series over 2 days with total distance adding up to 42.2km: HM, 4.6km Xcountry, 5km road, 10km hill ascent and 1500m 'dash'.
* hermie and i took up the challenge of doing these races plus gh80km over a 48hr period from friday arvo to sunday arvo.
* met by trust davo and schultzy at killarney school for the 10km ascent on friday arvo (doing sundays races on friday). a young unassuming fellow was with schultzy (aidan-CR duffman) who seemed amazed about what we were about to begin. found out later this 'kid' is quite the athlete with a ?4.03 1500m pb and did 76 for the warwick HM the following day. then we were the ones who were impressed.
* the 1500m (scheduled for 3.45pm) got off to a slow start with hermie leaving brissie at 2pm!! and was a simple outNback along the 10km route. 5 way tie (davo, schultzy, aidan, me, hermie) in 8.14
* ran the 10km hill climb back past the 750m turnaround and found we were going quicker than in the 1500m! the toilet paper finish tape at queen mary falls was special.
* nice to catch up with everyone on the friday night & saturday - owly, run67, karisma, tesso, cirque, veg, boon and mrs boon. and meet some new people. i now know who the 'toasties' are and can recognise ironbee out of his costume.
* got a 'buzz' running with ironbee in a few races. he certainly gets a lot of attention in that outfit. a nice guy - was a pleasure running with u mate.
* well done to ann raftery on her ?maiden 5km race.
* huge thanks to davo and cirque for all their help. was great to see cirque and her pompom car and davo driving up and down like a madman steering with one hand and using the hand-clapper with the other. should be a law against that ;)
* the warwick organisers went out of their way to help us. both pat and nev were at killarney friday arvo when i'm sure they had better things to do. pat and paula ran after me that night fixing up my entry (they refused to take money for 5 events as 2 were 'unofficial'). amazing people.
* times: 1500 8.14 10km 58.16 HM 2.04.38 XC 25.24 5km 26.54 total 4.03.26
* hermie was about 11 mins ahead
* will be back again next year with a sub 3.30 ?3.20 on the cards.
* left straight away from the 5km road race went home, had dinner and got about 4hrs sleep before the drive up to glasshouse.
* pulled over by the police on the way and breath tested. on your way home mate?
no i'm running an 80km race at 3am out at woodford. ohhhhh 8km?
no 80. eight-zero. oh well i better let u get on your way then!
* no time for pleasant chat at the startline. just down to business. felt not too bad to be honest. until i started running anyway.
* started feeling quad pain on run-walk and walk-run transition at the 5km mark and knew it was going to be a loooooooooooooong day!
* had mentally split the run up into 3 sections: start to cp2 (28.4km), cp2 to 8 (24.4km including powerlines) and cp8 to home (29.5km including loops at 8) and did the first section in 3.40. which was half an hour slower than i did when 'cruising' in the 60km a few months back!! didnt feel i was going that slow must have been just dead legs from warwick.
* heard i was 'only' 40mins behind hermie at cp6 so pushed a bit harder to the powerlines and did a 1.25 for this bit which is ok for me only to find i had lost another 20mins. gave up any hope of chasing after that!
* nice to run into people on the loops at 8 - rob ware (a loop ahead) had had a tough day and took the opportunity to run down the big hill with him. saw whippet on the way back up and was surprised to see he was still on his first loop. knee trouble unfortunately. i hope things settle before western states mate.
* loops at 8 really took their toll and i really struggled to run after that. a timely phone call from spud leaving cp8 really inspired me to go for a sub 11.30 (quicker than last year).
* did the last 2 'splits' in 3.20 and 4.20 which was ok i think especially since i did a lot of walking after cp2. just shows how slow i was 'running' and how much i use my walking ability when i get tired/into trouble. maybe i should just be a walker! managed to do the last 13.2km in 1.50 with very little running.
* got a call from vegie about 500m from the finish. a dozen or so people cheered me in all the way up the road (which i had to run of course!) which was just fantastic as i was the last person in the 80km by 90mins or so. (finished in 11.22)
* never had so much quad pain in my life. only the 12hr track run i did at gold coast a few years back came close. basically i struggled for the last 75km! no doubt the road-surface at warwick was to blame. it woule be a rare week that i would run 40km on the road. just not used to it i guess.
* despite the quads and a narky calf i dont think i have much to complain about really. i think considering what i did over the weekend i had very few problems and am just lucky that i didnt get foot problems or chafe to add to it!
* fantastic effort by hermie to do 9.50. an absolute machine!
* special mentions to nic and ab who did sub 7.45s (nic an 80km gh record) and tanky who blew me away with her 9.08. i think i have a sub-10 in me on this course but would go nowhere near that. very slick! tamsin also did well after hiking the larapinta trail the week before.
* ian said all the people training for western states were simply race-fit. he even said if he was out there he 'wouldve kicked my arse too!' how funny was that :)
* great to see mellum in full flight: lis finishing the 30km in 3.30ish and whippet finishing with tanky despite knee problems. so i guess it was mellum 1-2 in the 80km and 1 in the 30km!!
* what a great crew the gh mob are: ian, brian, cookie, jen, bob, the thompsons. nice to see steve (mr tanky) out there too. he probably thinks i'm a whinger now!
4.03 + 11.22 = 15.25 total.
maybe walking by tomorrow.