Sunday, November 25, 2007

Apolitical?

well its not quite true.
i still have an interest in politics in general just not voting for politicians!
my colleagues at work tell me working for queensland health broke my brain.
they may be right.
after several inquiries into several different health 'scandals', the state almost running out of water, and education and law enforcement debacles i have absolutely no faith in the queensland government.
they dont plan, they ignore problems on the horizon, hide them when they occur, deny them when people find out until there is an uproar, then spend millions in inquiries and the results of which they ignore because people have forgotten about the original problem by the time the findings are released.
i guess people might consider that 'smart' politics i call it deceit :)

in my own peculiar way i have decided to extend this to all politicians from all parties at all levels (and especially the bureaucrats who advise them) and have decided to only vote for someone i can trust and who i think will do a good job.
which means basically i will never vote again.
i was quite happy to pay the $20 fine for not voting this weekend but sitting at work at 5.30pm twidling my thumbs exactly 50 metres from a polling booth i thought i had better turn up and at least vote informally.
i use to think only knobheads voted (intentionally) informally.
i am now a knobhead.

walked into an empty polling booth.
told them my name/address.
got my bits of paper.
folded them as i walked straight to the box 3 metres away.
popped them in and smiled at the old lady giving me a quizzical look and was back at work exactly 2 mins later.
...and twidling my thumbs again.
that saved me $10 a minute.

it felt so good it just reiterated my one-man stand and i am now committed to do this for a long time yet.
cant wait for the next election to do it again.
still watched the election coverage for several hours with great interest.

monday: 14km flat 66.00 (quickest for 6 months or so!)
tuesday: missed a planned run as calf a bit sore!!
wednesday: 60min stat bike
thursday: mt coot-tha - mr g's torture test (long) 18-19km in 2.13 a 4min pb without trying on a warm day. calf had settled.
friday: 14km flat 72.00 plus pilates and massage
saturay: nothing
sunday: 14km flat 70.00

less 'nothing' this week :)

tesso when i have my six pack i am showing it to everyone except you! ;)

work conference at the gcoast this week (mon-wed).
then off to nz thursday for kepler (saturday).

all politicians are fcking idiots!!

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I agree totally but don't have to take the "knobend" option. I have the perfect escape from voting. I am not an Australian Citizen. Although I have dual citizenship so am technically allowed to vote in two countries elections, New Zealand and the UK don't have compulsory voting so I've never voted. Lulu, Winetrail Runner and Don Juan were horrified when I told them. I just don't see the point, they are all as bad as each other.

9:50 PM  
Blogger Tesso said...

If you do choose to vote informally you could at least draw or write something funny on the ballot paper, I'm sure the vote counters would really get a kick out of it.

Oh, so you're gonna show your six pack to everyone but me. What, even politicians?

8:41 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

Best of luck at Kepler. Sounds like a sensational race. Can't wait to read your report!

9:56 AM  
Blogger Talicca said...

Well, I guess I'm a knobhead too! Though I tried to be creative and put my own spin on the term "donkey vote" by drawing one (a donkey) on my ballot paper. At least, I attempted to draw a donkey... Whether or not the vote counter got the joke I don't know, but at least I got a chuckle out of it ;)

1:19 PM  
Blogger Horrie said...

Good luck at Kepler you knobhead. Hope it turns out to be everything you hoped for and more.

5:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home