Sunday, September 23, 2007

Typical Ultrarunner!

typical ultrarunner - walks with a limp and tries to run 50km...
one of my most favourite coolrunning quotes (now who said it first? ;)).

one of the things i learnt this year is when to 'just chill' and take a break.
ended this week limping up and down stairs due to a narky left calf and quad and (mainly) some pain in my right knee (not itb).
i'm 'just not happy'.
i know all of this will settle in a few days but had planned a modified fats fat-ass run (5-6hrs) tomorrow.
decided after some thought to just do nothing for a few days.

i think my smartest race this year has been 6 foot track.
i dnsed!
rested for 2 weeks (itb niggle) and ran well at wilsons prom 100km 6 weeks later.
its important to know when to back off and recover.
i like saying this to myself sometimes as a form of positive reinforcement.

we make decisions like this all the time.
whats a niggle, whats more serious.
do i feel good and can i increase mileage.
not all of them will be right but hopefully none of the bad decisions will lead to prolonged injury.
in the end we run for fun.
when it starts to feel like 'training' somethings going wrong.

unfortunately picked the 2 hotest days of the week for my long runs (monday was 31).

a bigish week!
monday - 2.5hr coot-tha run
tuesday - 1hr bike 130watts
wednesday - nothing
thursday - 4hr coot-tha run and massage
friday - nothing
saturday - 14km flat 68.30
sunday - nothing

have booked flights/accom/car for bright 4 peaks.
looking forward to it.

go kel in germany!
will miss my physio who is taking a break for a while - sending kind thoughts your way.

5 Comments:

Blogger 2P said...

Mate, how is your chin?

;-)

10:15 AM  
Blogger tim said...

where does the reverse taper fit into all this?

12:10 PM  
Blogger Tesso said...

4hrs on Mt Coot-tha - that's incredible. Different tracks or some doubling up?

2:38 PM  
Blogger 2P said...

Hey Bro - just to clarify - the PT I referred to on my blog is actually the Eos - I'm not sure why but it was packaged as a 1 Watt Apex?? Not sure why because according to PT that doesn't exist. Anyway I remedied the sitch today by ordering the real deal :-)

6:15 PM  
Blogger Horrie said...

You're still knocking out some big runs after Glasshouse. It is important to know when to back off and rest but it is very important to listen to your body. Thanks for the tip on the Hidden Half results in R4YL. Belinda and I had a good laugh. I think it is the only time I will finish in top 10 for any race other than an Ultra. lol

8:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home